Sunday, February 2, 2014

Predisposed


Genetically, I am pre-disposed to being blunt. Well...at least, the voices in my head are pretty blunt. I've never had DNA samples taken (that I know of...I've donated blood, so a whole host of opportunities for having been genetically tested could, hypothetically, come into play. Aside from that, I'm don't know if there is a gene attached to bluntness anyway...) From what I understand, however, as disgusting as it may sound, I leave Deoxyribonucleic acid  samples wherever I go. I don't mean to, of course, and it IS kind of gross when I really think about it, but...I'm leaving little pieces of myself, my DNA, my proteins of genetic instruction and molecules that describe the physical/material part of who I am, EVERYWHERE. 

With every stray hair that has clung to my wool pea-coat and finally falls off wherever I am (actually, I wish they just FELL off easier than they really do..), to the flaking skin that comes off when I suffer dry skin from winter weather, I leave pieces of DNA all over the place. 


I'm temped to be apologetic. But then I realize that I have to deal with the things that flake or fall off of you as well. Thanks, and yes, I still think it's kind of gross. I'll tolerate your stray hairs clinging to a sweater if you can deal with mine. Deal?

So what does this have to do with bluntness? Oooh yeeeah, THAT is what she was talking about originally! Not much, since I wasn't actually talking about bluntness, per se. 

I actually wanted to talk about how simple life is. While that may seem like a gigantic jump from bluntness to talking about things you haven't dealt with since chemistry class when you were a sophomore in high school, just keep your shirt on cuz it's cold outside and hope I can reconcile the topics to one another by the end. 


I made a claim that life is simple.

If you looked at me right now, you'd probably say something like, "Well well, look at you! You sip your creamy, whole milk and munch that glazed donut while you sit behind your laptop just typing it up. YOUR life is simple."
I'd immediately be offended, of course. My jaw would drop open, I'd probably give you a look that you got from your mother on occasion (ya know, that one with the eyebrows raised that says, "I heard you, but my silence is an opportunity for you to try to un-say what you just said to me"). 

Everything inside me would scream, "You don't know anything about me! My life isn't SIMPLE. You think my life is EASY? How dare you." 
Suddenly we are in an argument and I remind you that I found a hair that wasn't my color in my salad last time you made dinner for me, and we are stepping on each other's toes and rubbing our DNA on each other as we land a punch or two.
My life is different than yours, but I guarantee I struggle with things, and life looks so twisted and confusing and complicated sometimes. I understand that yours is like that because mine is, too

People are little messes bumping into each other, creating not-so-little messes that turn into hurricanes of destruction on down the line. Then, when we finally can't ignore that we have an alcohol problem, or can't stop shopping, that we are so addicted to pinterest that we have 5,000 new recipes to try and no time to go to the store or cook because we have to keep pinning...it finally hits us in the face that our finances are sinking, that our jobs are going no where, that we are in piles of debt because of an education that is next to useless...it sinks in that we'd be better people, and maybe, just MAYBE even happier or CONTENT with ourselves and our lives if we just lost that extra ten pounds hanging around our thighs, or could afford Starbucks every morning, or stopped yelling at our kids, or got to meetings on time for once...


Then we find books to read that say things like, "Self help! Because obviously, you suck" or "Want to be successful? Try these 12 steps, but fair warning, number 7 is tricky, and if you can't talk in front of a crowd already, just forget it." 

So how can I possibly say that life is simple? Ha! Right. What-eva. 
Why is that simple? I believe it is simple because real life, that which is submitted to God, becomes exceedingly simple in the sense that you only have to do one thing with how you make choices and how you live your life. 


Life, to me and those on earth who would identify themselves with Christianity, is life with Christ. Everything becomes extremely simple when you realize that. At least, it does for me when I wake up in the morning and remind myself of it day after day. Jesus is in charge of me. 
Recognizing the need for obedience simplifies everything down to the IQ of humanity when we just see who is in charge. 
What I mean is that REAL life is life with Christ at the wheel. Not just at the wheel, but as the entire vehicle. 

It's called obedience. What is the one thing? To obey Him. 
May I suggest that the self help and 12 step ideas are nice...but totally off base? 

What if there is no 12 stepper at all. What if it's not that complicated. What if you just have to get to know Jesus better and better throughout the rest of your life? What if it is that simple?

You see...doing it (whatever "it" is for you) all right whether it is the first or fiftieth time isn't necessarily the point. Obedience to God is. Being perfect is pretty complicated, but being real is fairly simple.

 
My life is simple because I have made one choice that pre-determines all of the other choices I want to make in my life. I have chosen to be obedient to God about everything of which my life consists. The point isn't me fixing myself by cleaning up the lovely little mess of my life. The point is being obedient to God with everything that I have and everything that I am. It gets so simple! The complexities melt away into freedom to obey. Freedom do do what is best for you to begin with!

That doesn't mean that I never struggle with the mind-boggling complexities of being human...it just means that I can find peace in simple obedience to the One who knows me best and knows what is best for me. I gulp deep breaths of that freedom as often as I remember to. 

I should also note that the word "simple" does not mean, in any way, "easy." 
What is EASY is to give in to believing that life is horrifically complicated but somehow you have to figure it out. 
It is EASY to go about life and do it all your own way, but it gets so dang complicated when ya screw up.

 Not easy, though. Especially when my pride gets in the way or I find traces of your DNA mess mixing with my DNA mess. Sure it's irritating that we get in each other's way. But is is a life that is full of joy. Granted, this lesson for me has been years in coming, and I'm not done with it yet.

So my genetic predisposition for bluntness...about that...It's not all bad! Those of you who are blunt understand the deep sense of satisfaction being able to voice what you think brings to you. We share that, brothers and sisters! But it DOES have some faults...haha. On one hand, my ability to be blunt will come in handy when I need to say something difficult to somebody. On the other hand, however, I probably should not have just asked that girl over there what her ethnicity is since I can NOT tell underneath all the makeup she is wearing. If it was mystery she was going for, she has gone way too far and needs to stop shopping at clown stores...(I'm just kidding. I didn't say anything! I promise!)

So when I accidentally leave DNA samples of my bluntness around, have grace for me! I'm doing my best to be obedient, it's not necessarily an easy way to live (which, frankly, isn't what I want in life anyway!), I'm not likely to do it flawlessly, and I'm dealing with your DNA samples of your issues wherever I go, too. ;)  I know that God is good. In order for me to be obedient, as I have chosen to be, I will follow in his ways of goodness by getting to know him better day by day. 

----




2 comments:

  1. Great post!

    "If you would be simple-hearted like the Apostles, would not conceal your human shortcomings, would not pretend to be especially pious, if you would walk free from hypocrisy, then that is the path. While it is easy, not everyone can find it or understand it. This path is the shortest way to salvation and attracts the grace of God. Unpretentiousness, guilelessness, frankness of soul - this is what is pleasing to the Lord, Who is lowly of heart. Except ye become like children, ye shall not enter into the Kingdom of God (Matt. 18:13)."
    —Elder Leonid of Optina


    "Christ, the Son of God, the Most Holy God, 'is not ashamed to call us sinners brethren' (Heb. 2:11); therefore do not at least be ashamed to call brothers and sisters poor, obscure, simple people, whether they be your relatives according to the flesh or not, do not be proud in your intercourse with them, do not despise them, for we are all actually brothers in Christ ? we were all born of water and the Spirit in the baptismal font and became children of God; we are all called Christians, we are all nourished with the Body and Blood of the Son of God, the Savior of the world, the sacraments of the Church are celebrated over all of us, we all pray the Lord's prayer, equally calling God our Father."

    "Love does not reflect. Love is simple. Love never mistakes. Likewise believe and trust without reflection, for faith and trust are also simple; or better: God, in whom we believe and in whom we trust, is an incomplex Being, as He is also simply love."
    -Both St. John of Kronstadt

    ReplyDelete